Take Smooth Shading into account with Normals Bake
I am working with a software suite that ignores imported normals and relies entirely on a baked normal map. This messes up the shading of my model as I cannot use the "Smooth Shading" option to smooth vertex normals. Is there a way to bake this smooth shading into a normal map? Any help would be appreciated.
You can use the bake selected to active feature.
- Duplicate your object.
- Set one copy to smooth, and the other to sharp.
- Add a UV map and image to the sharp one.
- Select the smooth one first, then the sharp one (so the sharp one is active).
- Enable Selected to active in the bake settings.
- Set Bake Mode to Normals.
- Press Bake!
You can also use this trick to add bevelled edges for low-poly models. Just add a bevel modifier to the “smooth” object.
- Database Administration Tutorials
- Programming Tutorials & IT News
- Linux & DevOps World
- Entertainment & General News
- Games & eSport